Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cheesy Shrimp Tortillas

I was out shopping at Alamanda for groceries one day and I bought some wheat tortillas at Carrefour.. I came home and I didn't know what to do with the tortillas. So I was browsing for recipes on the internet and I found a Cheesy Shrimp Tortillas recipe. I tried looking for it again and I couldn't find it anymore. Perhaps the Rachel Ray Cheesy Shrimp Tortillas made more hits .. so it's pushed that recipe down.. But no fear.. I have the recipe in my head.. I've made it twice last Ramadhan. It shouldn't be that difficult kan? :p

The recipe called for shrimps but I think chicken can also be used. I've also changed the flour tortillas to wheat tortillas .. I thought it would be healthier ;p. but it kinda darken a bit when baked .. how long it needs to bake actually depends on the oven.. and your preference. I bake it until the cheese melts. It'll probably take about 10-15 minutes depends on your oven :) sometimes i bake it until the tortillas darken.. that way it'll crunch a bit.. awesome!

I've changed the ingredients so much so that it fits to what's available in Malaysia. So cili boh instead of chipotle.. hihi... have fun in the kitchen.. if u don't have the ingredient.. no sweat.. use something else that fits.. it'll be different. it'll be yours :)

Ingredients:

Tortillas
1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
shrimps (i use about 6 shrimps per tortilla...) -cleaned. Shells removed and deveined
onions (sliced)
red pepper/capsicum (julienned)
oil
cili paste/puree (depends how hot u want it to be)
shredded cheese (i used mixture of mozza and cheddar.. loves the pungent cheddar and gooey mozza)
coriander
salt to taste

Method


  1. Heat the oven to 180degC
  2. Heat the oil. 
  3. Saute the garlic. Don't let it burn.
  4. Add the chili. Stir until it cooks. 
  5. Throw in the cleaned shrimp. When the shrimp cooks, it'll take about 3-5 minutes on medium heat, stir in the coriander leaves. 
  6. Turn off the heat and set aside.
  7. In a clean pan, heat oil. 
  8. Cook the onions until they wilt. Set aside.
  9. Using the same pan and leftover oil from the onions, cook the red pepper until they soften. Set aside.
  10. Put one tortilla on a big plate. 
  11. Take the onion, scatter them on one half of the tortilla. Put lots of onions. Yummy :)
  12. Then scatter the cooked red pepper on top of the onions evenly.
  13. Then arrange the shrimps so that they are distributed evenly on half of the tortilla. We are going to fold it.
  14. Shred the cheese on that half of the tortilla. 
  15. Fold the tortilla. It won't hold. So I used toothpick to hold everything together. 
  16. Bake the tortilla for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
  17. Cut in half and serve with salsa. 




No comments:

Post a Comment