Friday, November 11, 2011

Simple Sambal Ikan Bilis with Potatoes

Sometimes I come home feeling sooooo hungry and I don't want to spend too much time cooking.. I want something quick and delicious... I want it express.. hihi *feeling like Nigella*

Spicy Sambal is a really easy dish. It's one of those first dishes I learned how to make .. in my recipe I use ikan bilis or dried anchovies and potatoes sliced thinly. You may also use tempeh, peanuts, chicken, fish.. anything you fancy. I use dried anchovies and potatoes because they are my favorite and I usually have them in stock during ermm dry days ;) There are many kinds of dried anchovies.. I prefer the tiny ones because they are really crunchy when fried. The bigger ones I typically use in my sambal tumis.. that's a different recipe.. Maybe in the future we'll see sambal tumis ikan bilis here ;)

In this recipe, I use cili boh.. quick and easy. You may also make your own cili boh.. by pureeing dried chili that's been blanched in hot water. You can also use fresh chilies but it won't be as spicy...

Ingredient

1/2 cup dried anchovies (cleaned)
1 medium/large sized potato (peeled, sliced evenly)
small onion (chopped)
3-5 tbs  chili pureed
sugar and salt to taste
oil for frying

Method

Fry the dried anchovies until crispy and set aside.
Fry the sliced potato and set aside.
Heat the oil used for frying the anchovies and potato and saute the onion.
Add the chili puree and stir it so it won't stick. Make sure the chili is thoroughly cooked. We don't want to end up with stomachache later.
Add the sugar and salt to taste. Stir
Stir in the fried dried anchovies and also the potatoes. Make sure the chili covers them all. Turn off the heat and serve it with rice or bread :)



No comments:

Post a Comment