Thursday, December 1, 2011

Caramel Bread Pudding

my favorite recipe book ever! 
I was a bit down today and decided to meet up a friend of mine. She's just given birth to a beautiful baby girl and I haven't even paid both the baby and the proud mummy a visit. As the decision was last minute. I decided to make a quick dish. Something that a mummy in confinement and a grandmother can eat. Something simple and delicious. I took out my Nigella Express book .. there it is.. caramel croissant pudding.

I didn't have croissant.. not even stale croissants.. but I did have white bread. The recipe also called for full milk and heavy cream for the custard.. I didn't have either. But I did have lots of low fat milk. :D Nigella also added bourbon.. she said if you don't have bourbon.. use sherry.. ermm.. I don't drink. So vanilla essence it is :p 

I'm going to give my version of Nigella Lawson's recipe. But here is the link to her recipe


Ingredients:

5-6 slices of white bread
100g caster sugar (less than 1/2 cup) 
2 tablespoon water
250ml low fat milk (1 cup)
a splash of vanilla essence (1 tbsp)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup raisins/sultanas/cherries for toppings

so divine! 

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180degC
  2. Tear the bread into pieces and put in a small dish. I used a small 6" aluminum foil. 
  3. Put the caster sugar and the water into a pan. Swirl around to dissolve the sugar before putting the pan on medium/high heat. Don't stir!
  4. Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away, DON'T STIR!, until it all turns a deep amber color. It takes about 3-5 minutes. Don't be too timid.. but keep looking to avoid the caramel to burn :D
  5. Once you have that amber color, turn the heat down low and add the milk. Ignore the spluttering, and whisk away the milk. The solid toffee that forms in the pan will dissolve if u keep whisking over low heat.
  6. After the toffee has dissolved, take the pan off the heat, still whisking, add the beaten eggs. 
  7. Congratulations you've just made caramel custard. :) 
  8. Pour the caramel custard over the bread and leave to steep for a few minutes if the breads are very stale.
  9. Sprinkle with raisins/cherries/sultanas.. whatever you like. I had lots of raisins so I used those. :) 
  10. Bake for 20 minutes in the heated oven.  
  11. Like Nigella said in her book.. Prepare to swoon! :D  

2 comments:

  1. Really, this is a crowd pleasing dessert. Thanks for sharing the recipe of this delightful desserts. It looks incredibly tasty and can be the show topper dessert for any party.

    Carmel Bread Pudding

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome! thanks for dropping by. :)

    ReplyDelete